Phone: +91 75670 09826

We are open: Monday-Sat: 10 am-7 pm

Sunday: 10 am-5 pm


Importance of Relatives in Canada

Having relatives in Canada makes it easier to qualify for Canadian PR. If you or your accompanying spouse has a relative residing in Canada, then, it would be an added advantage in case you are applying for Canadian PR. You can apply for the majority of Canadian immigration programs.

Given below are some frequently asked questions you might want to ask about the importance of relatives in Canada.

Q 1. Are all type of relatives eligible for adding points to your Canadian PR application?

Answer: Not all relatives are eligible for Canadian PR points. Following relatives are eligibl

  • Parents – Mother or father or both
  • Son or daughter
  • Niece or nephew
  • Grandparents- Grandmother or grandfather or both
  • Uncle or aunt
  • Grandchildren
  • Brother or sister

Q 2. Are cousins or close friends eligible for points?

Answer: Cousins or close friends are not eligible to add points to your Canadian PR.

Q 3. Does having a relative in Canada make you eligible for Canadian Immigration?

Answer: Having a relative in Canada does not make you eligible for Canadian immigration. It just adds 5 points to your application. This helps improve your score and elevate your chances of getting a Canadian PR. What makes you eligible for applying for a Canadian PR is your own work experience and your credentials.

Q 4. Is it necessary for a relative to reside in Canada?

Answer: Yes, it’s necessary for the relative (mentioned in your application) to reside in Canada to claim the points.

Q 5. Is it compulsory for a relative to be your biological relative?

Answer: Yes, a relative must be your biological relative.

Q 6. What all documents are required to claim the points of a relative in Canada?

Answer: Following documents are required:

  • Proof of a biological relative
  • List of family members of both the applicant and the relative
  • Canadian birth certificate (If such document exists)
  • Residential proof of the mentioned relative (Utility bill or a lease or mortgage documents)
  • Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residence Card of the mentioned relative.
  • A valid passport

The documents need to be updated from the current to 6 months before the application.

Q 7. Can any relative sponsor me for Canadian immigration?

Answer: Not all relatives can sponsor you for Canadian Immigration. Only your spouse, common-law partner or adult child can sponsor you for immigration.

Q 8. What is spousal sponsorship?

Answer: Under this category, a person residing in Canada can sponsor his/her spouse, common-law partner or a dependent child for immigration to Canada. The processing time for such applications may vary depending on the country the spouse is applying from.

Q 9. What is parental sponsorship?

Answer: When an adult child sponsors his/her parents or grandparents to come to Canada, then it is termed as parental sponsorship.

Q 9. What is parental sponsorship?

Answer: When an adult child sponsors his/her parents or grandparents to come to Canada, then it is termed as parental sponsorship.

Q 10. What are documents are required for parental sponsorship?

Answer: For parental sponsorship following documents are required

  • Birth certificate of the sponsoring child.
  • An official document which states that the person being sponsored is a parent to the person sponsoring him/her.
  • A copy of the applicant’s passport stating the details of the applicant’s parents.

Q 11. What are the necessary conditions for a person to sponsor a relative?

Answer: The sponsoring person should be

  • At least 18 years old.
  • A Canadian citizen for at least 3 years
  • Registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
  • A permanent resident of Canada.
  • Must be able to support the relative financially
  • Must be able to meet the needs of himself/herself and the relative sponsored
  • Must make sure the relative does not need any social assistance

Q 12. Who needs to submit the documents?

Answer: The principal applicant (residing in Canada) and their spouse or common-law partner need to submit the necessary documents.

Q 14. Do we need to prove that the relative is ‘currently inside' Canada?

Answer: Yes, you need to prove with documents that the relative is ‘currently inside’ Canada. Documents required are:-

  • Lease agreements
  • Latest notice of agreement from the revenue Canada.
  • A letter from the employer confirming employment
  • Monthly bills, may it be, telephone, mobile, had, etc.

All the pieces of evidence must be in the name of the relative and should reflect the full address of their Canadian residence.

The Final Words

Collectively, having relatives in Canada is an added advantage both for immigration program score and moral support. To get points for relatives residing in Canada, you need to refer to the guidelines issued by the Canadian Government and submit all the essential documents. The processing times for such applications may differ depending on the country. So, don’t panic if it takes time.